Monday 4 February 2013

Why Feyenoord fans love Manchester City

Some people might remember me making a reference towards the Dutch glory hunters from Feyenoord who suddenly came crawling towards us – Manchester City – after we got blessed with our ownership by Sheikh Mansour since 2008. I am going to tell you a story of something that not only happened to me, but also contains some background history regarding Feyenoord's support. It's funny how certain people can become hateful if you're having a different point of view. Read on.

Let me start by telling you that I used to live in the Netherlands. An error by birth so to say, as I've always had my heart belonging to England. It wasn't that long after I started to like football that I began to follow the Premiership, trying to watch as many highlights (and games) as possible. Arsenal and Liverpool were then the two main teams, with Man United suddenly buying players for mind blowing transfer fees. I can remember that £8m was an over-the-top amount back in the early 90s.

It was in 1994, at the age of 13, I discovered Oasis. I was an early bird coming to them, as not only English football but also the music fascinated me – the whole culture. I read an interview in which they mentioned the Gallagher brothers were supporting City. I was curious, who were City, where did they play and so on.
I only started to use the internet from 2000 onwards, but managed to find some football magazines at car boot sales during holidays as well some – but very rarely – in the Netherlands. I already noticed the huge attendances while checking the BBC ceefax scores/results, and it impressed me big times how many fans turned up at every City (home)game. That loyalty, the Manchester accent, the pride: I felt very certain to devote my heart to the club and follow it no matter where, which league or position. I learned quite fast that the club culture is that one of a family spirit.

But while still living in the Netherlands, I wanted to see some live football as well. I wanted to smell the grass and feel the excitement. It was in the summer of 2000 when I bought my first season ticket at Feyenoord, where I stayed for 5 full seasons. I went for Feyenoord as their fan base have – like Man City – got a very loyal nature. However, that is the only thing you can compare the two clubs with. Inside of the ground I always have noticed a lot of Liverpool and some Celtic jerseys and scarves, with “You'll Never Walk Alone” being sang prior to every single game. Something they're still doing nowadays by the way. On YouTube you can actually find a lot of clear videos.

It was 2003 when influential midfielder Paul Bosvelt moved from Feyenoord to Manchester, and I couldn't believe my delight: he went to my City! After first a struggling start, he finally gained a cemented position into the first team.

I knew what he was capable of, and on the stands in Rotterdam I already told some people about my pride of City and tried to educate them a bit about the background. They weren't that impressed, to say the least. Things like “nice he plays in the English Premier, but it's only at a little club” were some of the snubbing replies I received. The crowd was more proud of goal keeper Jerzy Dudek, who had joined the Merseysiders back in January 2002.

The problems really started around 2005, after Bosvelt had left City when his two year contract expired – to finish his career off in the Netherlands. On a main Feyenoord forum I 'dared' to state that City were like the Feyenoord of England (again, based on to loyalty only), in which someone replied “City are City, we got nothing to do with them” and he was immediately backed by others. I was then 'kindly asked' to 'get lost and never come back' with my 'annoying talk about City'. That was the final straw for me, that aggression. I cancelled my season ticket and let them all be. I was due to move to England anyway in 2006 on a permanent base, but would had enjoyed one more final year of normal live football action.

Oh, but how things have changed ever since. No need to explain our current wealth and Liverpool's decline. Suddenly Liverpool are not playing Champions League football any longer and we took over their place. Not only have we took over their place, we also took over their Dutch glory hunters – who 'suddenly realised how much we have in common'. Of course they knew it, from during the Paul Bosvelt era they no doubt heard some stories [not just from me] as they weekly checked on their former player his matches. Fact is that when you're doing well, you gain a lot of new 'fans', that's unavoidable. But with them, I simply have so much first hand knowledge – I'm a front row witness indeed – that I wish to stand guard and at least speak my heart out towards my fellow Citizens.

Very simple: what would happen if our owners would suddenly leave us and we'd slip back into poverty and as well into a lower league? The Dutch would just simply walk away from us as easily as they've came over – most likely digging up their old Liverpool jerseys and state “hey mate, long time no see, how's it going?” while crawling back towards Anfield. 


No comments:

Post a Comment